Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Eve 2008

Deb, the girls and myself spent New Year's Eve with an old friend of mine, Steven, and his family at their house. Steve's a buddy of mine that I met through roleplaying about 15 years ago, and he and his wife, Francine, have two little boys around the same ages as our two girls.

We arrived around midday and stayed until just after 11.00pm. Here are some photos.

Steve does some medieval reenacting so I had a chance to play with some of his gear.

Me with a replica 15th century battle axe


A replica 15th century longsword

All four kids played well together and were variously occupied by playing in the back yard, munching on snacks, watching TV or playing the Wii. Here's a photo of our girls with their matching shirts they got as gifts at Xmas.

Georgia's shirt says "I 'heart' my big sister" and Maddie's shirt says "I 'heart' my l'il sister"


Meanwhile Steve and I got down to the serious business of the evening - drinking. Steve had bought a couple of Hobgoblin gift packs of a bottle and glass.

Hobgoblin beer

Hobgoblin is brewed by Wychwood Brewery in the UK. According to the website 'Hobgoblin is strong in roasted malt with a moderate hoppy bitterness and slight fruity character that lasts through to the end. The ruby red coloured Hobgoblin is full-bodied and has a delicious chocolate toffee malt flavour balanced with a rounded moderate bitterness and an overall fruity character.'

It was a very nice tasting beer.

Steve behind his bar pouring us a couple of Hobgoblins

We then moved on to one of my favourite Belgian white beers - Hoegaarden. Steve has the large Hoegaarden glasses which hold two bottles (660ml).

Mmm...Hoegaarden!


Ahhh...


Hoegaarden - one of my favourite beers!

With a few beers under our belts it was then time to play some table football or foosball.

The competition was intense

We played two games. I won the first 10 to 9 while Steve thrashed me 10 to 6 in the second game.

More drinking and then Steve prepared a lovely Greek-themed dinner of roast lamb, lemon potatoes, greek salad, saganaki, pita and tzatziki all washed down with a bottle of Retsina.


A Greek-themed feast

A great way to end 2008 with family, good friends, and fine food and drink.

No comments: