Monday, April 23, 2007

Australian Military Uniforms

I went for a walk to Anzac Square at morning tea today to take some photos of the Shrine of Remembrance. I'll post those photos on Anzac Day which is on the 25th of April.

I found that there was a service being held at the Shrine which was being attended by school children from around Brisbane. There were military personnel from all the services in attendance as well. Off to the side of the Shrine were standing three men in uniforms which I instantly recognised as being from previous wars.

Ian Sparke as a World War I Australian Infantryman - Western Front

I went over to talk to them. I thought at first they may have been a re-enactment or living history group but it turns out they were from a company called SparkeFilms which was founded by Ian Sparke (that's him in the photo above).

World War I Australian Infantryman with a Lewis Gun - Western Front

Ian explained that SparkeFilms is a history design company which is involved with the production of military history documentaries, films and mini-series. They have a large number of military uniforms, webbing and props from wars throughout history that they can hire out to film productions or even to the public.

Australian Infantryman - Vietnam War

They kindly agreed to pose for some photos. So there you go. You never know what you're going to see when you go for a walk at morning tea in the city.

No comments: