Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Battlelore Replacement Dice Update

A day after I ordered my replacement Battlelore dice from the Days of Wonder site I received the following email.

We are pleased to inform you that your Days of Wonder order ##### was shipped on 08/06/2007. Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any problem with your package. We shall be happy to assist you. Again, we thank you for your order, and hope you will enjoy our games.
Best regards
The Days of Wonder team

Days of Wonder are renowned for their great customer service and this is another example. It's not the fact that they must have packed and posted my replacement dice within 24 hours of receiving my order (I may have been just lucky that it coincided with their weekly shipment), no, it's that they promised to send me an e-mail when my dice were shipped and they did.

Compare this to an earlier experience I had with Mayfair Games. On that occasion I emailed Mayfair to request them to replace a missing piece from my new copy of The Downfall of Pompeii. Although I received a standard automatic response within 90 minutes stating that they would send me an e-mail when my order was shipped, I heard nothing until a month later when the replacement piece turned up in my mail box. Now for that entire month, as I had not received my promised e-mail, I was wondering when, or even if, I would receive my missing piece.

It may only seem like a minor difference in my two experiences, but those experiences do affect customers, either positively or negatively. Hey, I'm blogging about them for goodness sake. The lesson for those in business is very clear - communication, and managing a customer's expectations is vitally important.

No comments: