Saturday, February 21, 2009

Orcs for Song of Blades and Heroes

My next painting project is to do some orcs for the Song of Blades and Heroes skirmish game. I'm doing these in 15mm for three reasons; 1) 15mm are cheaper than 25/28mm figures, 2) a smaller play area is required, and 3) I already have lots of unpainted 15mm figures.

I'm going to paint up a larger warband than the recommended 300 points. The reason for this is simply to give a bit more choice in selection when choosing members of a warband.

These are the figures I've selected:


These two figures are from Eureka Miniature's 18mm Fantasy range. They are the two available poses for their Orc Chief (code 300ORC04).

I think I'll use them for the following (left to right):

Orc Warchief
Points cost: 100
Quality 3+
Combat 4
Special abilities: Leader, Tough

Orc Champion
Points cost: 76
Quality 3+
Combat 4
Special abilities: Savage, Hero



These eight figures are from Eureka Miniature's 18mm Fantasy range. They are the four available poses for their Orc with Sword (code 300ORC03).

Click on the photo for a larger image. See those bits of irregular metal hanging off the ends of the swords? That's called flash and is a leftover from the casting process. Flash will have to be removed with either a craft knife or miniature file.

They'll be used as the following:

Orc Warrior
Points cost: 23
Quality 4+
Combat 3
Special abilities: None



These four figures are from Eureka Miniature's 18mm Fantasy range. They are the four available poses for their Orc Archer (code 300ORC01).

They'll be used as the following:

Orc Archer
Points cost: 29
Quality 4+
Combat 3
Special abilities: Shooter (Medium)



These figures are from Chariot Miniature's 15mm Fantasy range. I understand that they are three of the four available poses for their Wolf Riders (code GOB03).

They'll be used as the following:

Goblin Wolf Rider
Points cost: 47
Quality 4+
Combat 3
Special abilities: Mounted, Long Move

I wasn't happy with the weapons in two of the goblins' hands. The figure on the left holds a spear which I felt was too long. I decided to cut it off, trim down the size, drill out the hand and glue it back as a shorter spear/javelin. The goblin on the far right had an axe which I felt was too long and held too low on the shaft. I cut it off, drilled out the hand and glued it back in. Here are the results.



The last miniature is a large wolf I'm going to use as a Lord of the Rings-style Warg. Unfortunately I'm not certain of the manufacturer for this figure.



It will be used as the following:

Giant Wolf
Points cost: 50
Quality: 3+
Combat: 3
Special abilities: Animal, Big, Long Move

No comments: