Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Mmmm...Donuts!

I checked out a few game shops in the city at lunchtime today. I bought two items; the first, a game, which is the subject of this entry, and the second, a game accessory, which I will reveal tomorrow.
The game I purchased was The Simpsons Slam Dunk Card Game. My eyes were first drawn to the picture of Homer and then to the price sticker - $2.99! A Simpsons-themed card game for such a low price was worth buying simply because my 5-year-old daughter, Maddie, is such a big Simpsons fan.

Then I looked at the back of the packet. "A game by Reiner Knizia"! Woohoo! One of my favourite game designers as well! Now, prior to any purchase I first thoroughly research the games I am about to buy on BoardGameGeek (BGG) , but with a) a Simpsons-theme, b) low price, and c) a Knizia design, I immediately marched up to the counter and plonked down my money.
This is what it says on the back of the packet:
The game of "Grab the Donuts" - A Game by Reiner Knizia
It's this simple...
Watch the cards the dealer lays down. When you like what you see, hit the Slam-Dunk board and grab them all! The catch? Someone else may want the same cards as you. Most cards are good (donuts) some are bad (eaten donuts), then there are toasted donuts, jackpot donuts and the Krusty donut!
Slam-Dunk the game that grabs you!
Contains 78 cards and 'Slam-Dunk' board. For 2 to 5 players aged 7 to adult. Time to Learn - 3 minutes. Time to Play - about 35 minutes.
When I arrived home I researched it on BGG. It turns out it's a re-themed version of It's Mine by Reiner Knizia. Some people have commented it's like a light version of Ra which was also designed by Knizia. It looks like it will be a great game to introduce to my mother and daughter for our weekly gaming sessions.
Oh, if you're in Brisbane, I bought it from Mr Toys Toyworld in the Myer Centre for only $2.99. Mind Games in the Myer Centre also has it but they'll charge you $16.50.

No comments: