Friday, January 05, 2007

WWI Albatros DIII - 1

This is a 1/300 scale Albatros DIII that I made myself. The fuselage and wings are sculpted from Milliput, the struts are made from matchsticks and the undercarriage from card. The model itself is only about 2.5cm (1 inch) in length. It was one of my first sculpting projects and I am very pleased with the result.

It is painted in the colour scheme of an Albatros DIII of the Imperial German Military Aviation Service which crashed north of Savoy in October 1917 (source - Kenneth Munson, Fighters 1914-19 - Blandford Colour Series, 2nd edition 1976).

I used 1/285 scale decals on the wings and fuselage. Acrylic paints were used to paint this miniature and several coats of clear gloss varnish were sprayed on to protect the paintwork.

The Albatros DIII was a single-seat fighter employed by the Germans in WWI from the spring of 1917. You can click on the image for a closer view.

No comments: