Thursday, January 04, 2007

1/300 Scale WWI Aircraft

All of the WWI aircraft that I have painted and based to play Blue Max are made of a metal alloy and designed by Irregular Miniatures (except one which I sculpted myself). I purchased them from Eureka Miniatures who I understand are licensed to produce them here in Australia.

The aircraft usually come in two or three pieces that have to be glued together. The models straight out of the packet required quite a lot of filing to obtain smooth wings and fuselage and to clean off minor flash. I also filed off the static propeller blades and added a piece of circular clear plastic to represent the propeller blades in flight. Each aircraft was then mounted on a brass wire attached to a think cardboard base. I then painted them in acrylic paints and used 1/285 scale decals for the wings and fuselage.

Each plane has an approximate wing-span of 2.5cm (1 inch). They are classified as being 1/300 scale. So how big is 1/300 scale? It equates approximately to 6mm scale. That is, an average man would be 6mm tall in 6mm scale.

Here is a picture of one of my 1/300 scale Sopwith Camels. You can click on the image for a close-up view. This will give you some idea of the size of the model in comparison to my fingers.

1 comment:

inrepose said...

Very sweet looking paint job.