Wednesday, January 17, 2007

WWI Fokker Dr.I - 3

This is a 1/300 scale Fokker Dr.I triplane I use to play Blue Max. It is from Irregular Miniatures 6mm World War I Aircraft range and has the code GWP3. The model itself is only about 2.5cm (1 inch) in length. It is painted in the colour scheme of a Fokker Dr.I flown by Ernst Udet. The reference I'm using for the colour scheme is from a diecast model being sold on the internet. In this case I'm not certain of the historical accuracy but I like it nonetheless.

Ernst Udet was the second-highest scoring German flying ace of World War I. He was one of the youngest aces and was the highest scoring German ace to survive the war. He was 22 when the war ended. His 62 victories were second only to Manfred von Richthofen (the Red Baron), his commander in the Flying Circus.

The Fokker Dr.I was a single-seat fighter employed by the Germans in WWI from October of 1917. You can click on the image for a closer view.

No comments: