Sunday, January 14, 2007

WWI Fokker Dr.I - 2

This is a 1/300 scale Fokker Dr.I triplane I use to play Blue Max. It is from Irregular Miniatures 6mm World War I Aircraft range and has the code GWP3. The model itself is only about 2.5cm (1 inch) in length. I painted it in the colour scheme of a Fokker Dr.I flown by Ltn Lothar von Richthofen, of Jasta 11 in March 1918. (source - Norman Franks, Fokker DR.I Aces of World War 1 - Osprey Aircraft of the Aces No. 57, 2001).

Lothar von Richthofen is credited with 40 victories and was the younger brother of Manfred von Richthofen, the famous Red Baron. Unlike his older brother, Lothar survived the war, going on to fly as a commercial pilot. He died on 4 July 1922 in a passenger aircraft which crashed due to engine failure.

The Fokker Dr.I was a single-seat fighter employed by the Germans in WWI from October of 1917. You can click on the image for a closer view.

No comments: