Sunday, February 18, 2007

Star Wars Podracer - 5

This is the fifth Star Wars podracer I've scratchbuilt. Although the model is completed and I've started to paint it, I'm not that happy with it. I think I'll make further changes to it and also change the colour scheme. You'll notice I've inserted wire into the bottom of the engines. These will then be inserted into tiny holes on the actual base and then glued into place to achieve that 'flying' effect.

When I go to garage sales and flea markets I look for any cheap, plastic toys that have interesting shapes or features. I can usually pick these up quite cheaply. I will then cut off suitable pieces to use for scratchbuilding projects.

The air intakes on the engines are made from the lids of tiny paint tubes with the tip of a pin pushed into the center. The engine bodies are made from a toy plastic torpedo. The rest of the model is made up of bits and pieces from my 'bits box'.

2 comments:

Paul O'G said...

Great podracers! I play podracing with my kids too, using the micromachine figures. I have a neat set of rules if you are interested.

Have you any other pics of your pod racing terrain? It looks great.

cheers and I hope the weather is better up there than here in Canberra!

Paul

MaksimSmelchak said...

Hi Mate,

Love your creations!

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.